Wednesday, August 29, 2007

See it, Know it, Watch it go!

Great Dhamma book by Jeff Oliver. This Australian man has spent most of the last 11 years in the world of Vipassana meditation, ordained for 8 years while studying primarily in Burma, and now teaching all over the world. These are some quotes from his book I really liked:

Forgiveness Meditation:

In many ways, intentionally and unintentionally, I have caused harm and suffering to other beings.
I freely forgive myself.
May they be free of their suffering.
In many ways, intentionally or unintentionally, I have caused harm and suffering to myself.
I freely forgive myself.
May I be free from suffering.
In many ways, intentionally or unintentionally, I have been harmed by others.
I freely forgive them.
May we all be free from our suffering.

Questions to calm the mind and focus on the present moment reality:
What is happening now?
What am I doing now?
How do I feel now?
What's this?

One thing at a time:
While you're doing this,
don't worry about that,
while you're doing that,
don't worry about the next one,
one at a time.
See your mind worrying about the past, things that are gone.
See your mind worrying about the future, things that haven't happened yet.
See your mind and body in the present and relax.

Vipassana, A recipe for wisdom:
See it, means to pay attention to anything that naturally and predominantly occurs in your body and mind in the present moment.
Know it, means to try to understand whatever you pay attention to. If you don' t understand it at this time, you will later on. Keep trying, please be patient.
Watch it go, means to not only let it go, but to continue to observe and know how your phyical processes and mental states change, naturally.
All conditioned things are impermanent.
Whatever comes to be,
ceases to be;
this is a
natural
law.

No comments: